This was my last week and I have so much to be thankful for, especially for what I learned. Before this week I never received a call from the 12th floor that includes the City and Deputy City Managers' offices. My second to last day included a call from Suzanne the Assistant to the Manager. She requested that I meet with Jerome on my last day at 9am. I thought it was to go over the last of my projects and clue in those who will continue to work on them. However, when I arrived the next day both Brandi and Jerome were waiting by my office to take me for coffee. While eating my bagel and drinking coffee, they applauded all my work during the internship, gave me advice for the future, and gave me a parting gift. It meant so much to me that I became all teary eyed.
My last lunch was with Karen, John Wayne, and Jeff at 5R Cha down the street from City Hall. Jeff does not work in the office, but he is a lawyer and lobbyist who know Karen and John Wayne from past work. It was a fun lunch where we chatted about shows we watch and movies that were worth seeing. The food was delicious since Thai is one of my favorite foods. They have mild to super super super spicy levels of heat. I went medium and it was still a lot of heat for my tastebuds. After lunch we went back to the office where I continued to work but since it was Friday we really did not have much work.
After our weekly strategy meeting, Karen left for a meeting and everyone else was out of the office or off to meetings so John Wayne said to call it a day. We decided to walk down the street to Lucky Strike to celebrate my last day and meet the legislative liaison from the League of Towns and Cities. Since I had to work at my other job I could only stay for one drink. While there JW and I discussed my internship and he gave me his advice on where I should go next. He told me what firms were good places to work for and his experiences in how it shaped his career. His advice were very helpful and in the end I'm glad he was my supervisor.
Even though this was my official last week, I still worked on my projects since we had to wait for the City Council to come back off break. The first few Council meetings involved the budget and we gained more interest from other Council Members who wanted to participate. I'm happy they asked me to stay on to see these projects through, it means so much that they wanted me to stay on. The City taught me so much and I'm looking forward to applying my knowledge gained to future internships and jobs.
How incredibly amazing! :) Good for you! I know what it's like to be able to be applauded for a job well done especially when it's noticed from your supervisors at the end. I'm glad you had an enjoyable last day of your internship!
ReplyDeleteIt is good to hear your hard work was appreciated by the people in your office. It shows not only the quality of the work you completed, but how much you were valued by the members of the office. I am sure the connections you made will help in your future career.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that your superiors with the city management office seemed actually very vested in your future, and the fact that they took time out of their schedule to spend the amount of time that they did discussing their walks of life with you is an important indication of great management.
ReplyDeleteThat's fantastic that they put so much effort into showing how much interest they have in your efforts, and their appreciation. Add to that them keeping you involved after the program is complete, you definitely made an impression!
ReplyDeleteIt seems that you gained more than just an experience! It is great that you had a wonderful relationship with those you worked with. If anything I would say that you can call those people mentors. For them to take the time to share their viewpoints and advice is something that experience cannot show you. Congratulations!
ReplyDelete