Monday, October 8, 2012
What works in public works?
While waiting for John Wayne to finish a meeting with a Councilman, I sat in on the last part of the City Manager's Sub-Committee Meeting on Public Works. Three Councilmen and City Manager were heading the meeting with an audience of City employees and the public. When I first sat down to listen, the sub-committee was discussing the new change for collecting both recycling and trash. It was decided to move both collections to the same day since it would save the City money and also make it more effective. Moving from the same day collections, the sub-committee had someone come discuss the possibility of moving towards charging for plastic bag usage in stores. The speaker knew much about the topic as she discussed how well California and New York's program are working. The two main reasons for implementing such a program would be to increase revenues and become more sustainable. During the summer, I had a chance to visit L.A. and every time I went to a store I was charged 15¢ for using a plastic bag. After a while, I had to decide whether I needed the bag or could just take the items with me. I understand how this initiative could help the environment but I'm not sure what the public will think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jacqueline,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with your comments. Having lived in "desirable places to live" cities as San Diego, and a bunch of others, Phoenix is clearly the best managed of the dozen cities I have lived in during my first career. In fact, when I first visited Phoenix in 1995 and drove through the nicely landscaped and well maintained highways, the ease of navigating throughout Phoenix's grid system of streets, I was hooked purchased a home and dropped anchor when I retired from the Navy. It is nice to know that our city's elected representative are not resting on the laurels and are actively seeking out news ways to better Phoenix.
Michael
Its the small things that help the environment, I think people that care about it and want to think about these things will have a positive opinion towards this policy.
ReplyDelete