Tuesday, October 16, 2012

GRIC grants

This week I helped prepare the Gila River Indian Community (GRIC) gaming revenue sharing grants. As part of the state's approval for gaming, all tribes with casinos must share 12% of their annual gaming revenues to either local or state governments. Each tribe can choose who they give their 12% to. GRIC decided to share their 12% with the City of Phoenix. The City receives the final prepared grants from City programs and local non-profits within the boundaries of Phoenix, and sends them to the GRIC grant reviewer. It was my duty to make sure there were 8 copies of the grant application and all the required documents. I then had to put them all together and have them ready for John Wayne to deliver to GRIC. We set a deadline early enough for the grants to be delivered on time. Many of the grants were over the maximum page limit but John Wayne said we had to deliver them as is, so we do not alter the documents. It was an interesting project because I was able to understand the different types of funding requested and what organizations need aid to better help the City.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jaqueline I never knew about the 12% giving to cities or state government. Just curious do you know if that is 12% of bottom line profit or total revenue? Can you share what areas or how the City of Phoenix will use their portion of the GRIC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I have a similar position, but with the Town of Gilbert. I recently had to conduct some research to figure out how to apply for a GRIC and put the program together that the Town is tryin go get a the grant for. We haven't put the application together yet, but now have everything in place.

    ReplyDelete