Sunday, September 16, 2012

Native Americans in Arizona

Whenever I'm not in a meeting or researching for the department, I'm updating the Native Americans in Arizona database. As discussed earlier, the big green binder is not used much but when it is is very helpful. The first assignment with the binder was preparing a document for the Mayor by using the Ft. McDowell Yavapai Nation's section. Being Navajo, I was interested and started looking through the binder noticing that the Navajo Nation was not included and it was out of date. Not many tribes have an up to date website and using ITCA's (Inter Tribal Council of Arizona) information isn't much help either. I found it rather difficult to update the information without calling the tribe itself and request what I needed. Making a long distance call is hardly ever used in the department because we are charged for every minute. Since the budget is consistently cut every year, the department needs to watch where it makes unnecessary expenditures. So with the information I already had and what I could find, I rewrote almost all of it but upset that I couldn't complete the binder. I had a lot of fun learning about the 22 tribes in Arizona, never knowing the smaller ones and understanding the larger ones from the governmental side.

1 comment:

  1. Jacqueline,
    Good job on taking the initiative and updating the Native Americans in Arizona Database, keep the spark of improvement going! Daily look for an area to make better at your workplace (or should I call it internplace?). Sometimes the small stuff really does make a huge difference. For example, the area where I work had this empty desk that became a dumping ground for binder clips, file sorters, binders and junk. To say the least it was an eyesore and an area that people generally avoided. For a few weeks, my goal (in addition to other responsibilities) was to make the area a little better each day. When I completed it, people were surprised how good the office looked, that same desk has become an area of productive activity now instead of wasted space.

    ReplyDelete